Monday, September 1, 2014

Banana Leaf Restaurant

409 N. University Ave. Provo. UT
went to Banana leaf a couple times because I am a huge fan of Asian food primarily Southern Asian such as Thai, Burmese and Indian which are all extraordinarily different. Here is my perspective on this:
Thai:
Tangy but spicy curries made with chilis and kaffir limes and sometimes coconut milk;lots of fish
Indian:
curries milder than Thai
whats similar is that curries are served over rice
Himalayan
all the Himalayan food I have had is like a mild form of Indian food with yak on the menu
Vietnamese
home of the spring roll, french influenced cooking such as a banh mi which is made with french bread
Burmese
hodge podge mix of ingredients such as  fermented tea leafs, dried shrimp hard boiled eggs and garlic crisp;:
suprisingly good
Banana leaf is a sri lankan restaurant. When you enter you enter a whole other world with elephants and and other themed decorations that set the mood. With a name like banana leaf one might ask "where are the banana leafs?". A good portion of the food is served on banana leafs . This food seems to be very authentic and has very strong flavors. This is not your PF Changs orange chicken though. The glaze on this chicken is really good. It comes with a naan taco shell and rice to make Sri Lankan tacos which I am 99% sure is not the traditional way to do it but this restaurant is fun. It is the reason I came back to get the dish with the two carved pineapples stuffed with beef (also set atop a banana leaf).

I highly recommend the avocado milkshake. I got some people to try it who didn't think they would like it and they loved it. It isn't what you think. They also have a "magical" deal called the magical kanandanum which for about 50 dollars you could get almost everything on the menu. I am not sure they still have it because I don't see it on their online menu.I believe their menu has changed a lot since  I last ate there It is a small restaurant with not much seating and it gets loud easily (I know this from experience).


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic. We came through here for dinner once and everyone in our group loved it. We're big fans now of the Banana Leaf Restaurant and would suggest it to anyone looking for a change in cuisine from the usual Provo fair. Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete